Forums

Welcome to our forum, a space for our Members to engage in discussion, share information and connect with one another. To ensure productive and respectful conversations, please follow our forum guidelines detailed here.

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Book/Film Club

This would seem a good place to host our Book/Film Club!  Does anybody have any thoughts on how frequently these should be held?  I wondered about monthly, with a different person suggesting a resource each month.  People could post the resource to be discussed here, on the 1st of each month, and the discussion could be left open until the end of the month.  It might be an idea to also pop an alert on the WhatsApp group to let group members know that a Book/Film has been suggested.  I'm happy to draw up a schedule for people to put their names down on, if that would be helpful?

Love this idea. I have already suggested some relevant books but am happy to repeat them here and take part in discussions.

This sounds great, there's a lot around at the moment to choose from. (True Love on Channel 4 being an interesting take on it assisted dying)

Is the idea we discuss via zoom, in person as it were, or on here?

Thanks for getting us started on this Caitrian

I'm not sure whether best to have Zoom discussions or have them on here.  If we had them on here, it might be more flexible and we could add comments whenever we had time, rather than trying to find a time that suits everybody.  What do others think?  (I watched True Love - quite unexpected twists!)

I really like this idea too. Not sure how often I will get on here. Will put prompt in my diary to remind me. Having films and books is good. 

Welcome to our very first Book/Film Club discussion!  A number of us have watched True Love on Channel Four and it seems a good place to start. You can watch it online at channel4.com.

I've had a look at various online sites for suggestions for questions to get our discussion started:

1. How would you describe the drama in one sentence? What is the main point or purpose of the drama?
  2. What are some of the questions or criticisms you have about the series? How would you challenge or debate the author’s claims or arguments?
  3. How did the series change your opinion or perspective on the topic? Did it confirm or contradict any of your assumptions or expectations?
  4. What was the most memorable or impactful story, anecdote, or example in the series? Why did it stand out to you?
  5. What was the most surprising or shocking thing you learned from the series? How did it make you feel?
  6. How did the director engage and persuade you as a viewer? 
  7. How did the director’s choice of how to frame and organize the series impact its effectiveness for you?
  8. How did the director address any counter arguments or criticisms? Did they acknowledge any limitations, gaps, or biases in their research or writing?  Did you find their arguments convincing?
  9. What are some of the ethical, moral, or social implications of the series? How does it challenge or support your values or beliefs?
  10. Did the series inspire you to take action, change your behaviour, or think differently about something?

(These are very much just some suggestions - please feel don't feel restricted by them or feel that you have to go through them all!)