Forums

Welcome to our forum, a space for our Members to engage in discussion, share information and connect with one another. To ensure productive and respectful conversations, please follow our forum guidelines detailed here.

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Assisted Dying

I am not sure if this is the right heading for this topic or if it should be one on its own but it would be good to hear from others how they respond when a person they are supporting (or in general when talking about the role of an End of Life Doula) undertake conversations on Assisted Dying.  To start this off I will always reference End of Life Doula UK guidelines and if it is appropriate an will help to build a trusting relationship will indicate where I am on this which to summarise and very crudely is that I believe that the law should change to allow for choice but that there has to be very good safeguards.  Hoping others will share their approach here.  Aly Dickinson

I agree, Aly, but it's often been difficult to keep a balance: I need to remind myself to repeat the legal context regularly, so I dont get drawn into 'aiding and abetting'.  I get into knots when it feels like all I can do is remind people of the risks, when I'd like to be more supportive.  It helps to have read lots of stuff that you can quote, but not enough.

It's interesting that in the Death Cafe that I've been involved with, as far as I know I'm the only facilitator who's had the issue crop up (several times) -  what is it that inhibits people / makes them feel it's OK?

Often get this raised at my Death Cafes and I often refer to what the stance of End of Life Doula UK is as there is an Assisted Dying Policy on the Members Area of the Website which I am sure you know about.  Then if it feels safe and appropriate I will express my personal view which is  I 100% believe in choice with the proviso that where we are now is  the absence of a  proper understanding of what AD is and is not (which I don't believe the public generally have had adequate information), robust safeguards, and my concerns that  it is immensely difficult for AD to be a truly autonomous act